Areas of Interest
Expert and non-expert communication and interaction. Science communications and information management. Citizen science. Informal education, especially science. Valuation of information, economic, social, individual. Philosophy of information, communication, and technology. History of social sciences. Collective action and intelligence. The commons, tragic and otherwise. Information and technology ethics.
- Suomela, T., Chee, F., Berendt, B., Rockwell, G. in review. “Applying an Ethics of Care to Internet Research : Gamergate and Digital Humanities” Digital Studies/Le champ numerique
- Norris, T. B., Suomela, T. (2017). “Information in the ecosystem: Against the ‘information ecosystem’.” First Monday, 22(9)
- Budac, A., Rockwell, G., Palmer, Z., Budac, R., Suomela, T., Sinclair, S., Ruecker, S., INKE Team. (2017). “WIScking Ideas.” Journal of the Japanese Association for Digital Humanities, 2(1), 73-89
- Aydinoglu, A. U., Suomela, T., Malone, J. June (2014). Data management in astrobiology: Challenges and opportunities for an interdisciplinary community. Astrobiology, 14(6) 451-461.
- Littmann, M., Suomela, T. June (2014). Crowdsourcing, the great meteor storm of 1833, and the founding of meteor science. Endeavour, 38(2) 130-138
Conference Proceedings and Presentations
- Suomela, T., Chee, Florence, Berendt, Bettina, Rockwell, Geoffrey. (2017) “GamerGate and Digital Humanities: Applying an Ethics of Care to Internet Research” Canadian Society for Digital Humanities
- Suomela, T., Glather, J., Pirrmann, C. (2017). “Using ACS data to study the 2016 election in the classroom: A case study from Bucknell University” ACS Data Users Group Conference
- Suomela, T., Rockwell, G., Chartier, R. (2016). “Curating Just-In-Time Datasets from the Web: Implications for design and data quality.” Digital Humanities 2016. Krakow, Poland, June
- Kuznetsova, E., Suomela, T. (2016). “Hashtags Make Meaning.” Proceedings CGSA. Canadian Game Studies Association Calgary, Canada, June
- Gouglas, S., Rockwell, G., Chee, F., Suomela, T. (2016). “Gamergate Origins.” Proceedings CGSA. Canadian Game Studies Association Calgary, Canada, June
- Suomela, T., Rockwell, G., Chartier, R. (2016). “Creating just-in-time corpora.” Proceedings CSDH. Canadian Society for Digital Humanities Calgary, Canada, May
- Rockwell, G., Chee, F., Suomela, T. (2016). “Ethics and web archiving.” Proceedings CSDH. Canadian Society for Digital Humanities Calgary, Canada, May
- Suomela, T., Rockwell, G., Chartier, R. (2016) “Curating Just-in-Time Datasets from the Web” Digital Humanities 2016
- Gouglas, S., Rockwell, G., Chee, F., Suomela, T. (2016) “Gamergate Origins”. Canadian Game Studies Association
- Suomela, T. (2016). “Framing Citizen Science in Print Media: Testing Science Communication Frames on Novel Types of Science” Canadian Communications Association
- Rockwell, G., Chee, F., Suomela, T. (2016) “Ethics and web archiving” Canadian Society for Digital Humanities
- Norris, T. and Suomela, T.. (2016) “Information in the Ecosystem: exploring open data and its socio-environmental outcomes.” American Association of Geography, San Francisco, Mar 29-Apr 2.
- Suomela T. (2015). “Growing a web archiving program: A case study for evolving an organization- management plan”. IFLA Library. International Federation of Library Associations : IFLA
- Budac A, Palmer Z, Pelletier-Gagnon J, Chartier R, Gouglas S, Rockwell G. (2015). “#GamerGate: Distant Reading Games Discourse.” Proceedings CGSA. Canadian Game Studies Association
- Suomela T. (2015). “Analytics for monitoring usage and users of Archive-IT collections.” Web Archiving and Digital Libraries. Joint Conference on Digital Libraries : JCDL
- Suomela, T., He, Y., Kim, H., Stevenson, R. “Citizen science as a new kind of instrument” Citizen Science Association Conference. (2015), San Jose, February.
- Suomela, T. (2013). “Understanding amateur data: Interactions in astronomy and environmental science.” Society for the Social Studies of Science (4S) Conference 2013, San Diego, October 2013.
- Suomela, T., Allard, S. (2013). “Libraries as centers for science literacy and public science.” Proceedings of BOBCATSSS 2013, Ankara, Turkey, January 2013
- Suomela, T., Allard, S. (2012). “Information sharing as a habit of citizenship: Is there an obligation to contribute?” Proceedings of BOBCATSSS 2012, Amsterdam, January 2012.
- Cheong, H.J., Evans, N., Noakes, E., Suomela, T. (2012). “Power struggles and privacy statements from Word-Of-Mouth marketing agencies.” International Advertising & Integrated Marketing Communications Conference (IAIMCC) 2012
- Suomela, T. (2011). “Ethics and Collecting Social Media: Twitter and the Library of Congress. Collections and Collaborations.” IUB’;s Annual International Interdisciplinary Graduate Conference 2011, March 2011.
- Suomela, T. in review. “Engaging Libraries with Web Archives” in The Top Technologies Every Librarian Needs to Know. In Varnum, K. (Ed.), Chicago, American Library Association
- Suomela, T. (2011). “The Inner and Outer World of Minds and Selves.” In Berti, J. and Bowman, D. (eds.), Rush and Philosophy: Heart and Mind United. Chicago, Open Court.
- Suomela, T. (2012). Book Review: Andrew Feenberg, Between Reason and Experience: Essays in Technology and Modernity. Public Understanding of Science. 21: 1023, doi:10.1177⁄0963662512443122
- Suomela, T. (2014). “Situating citizen science in multiple social worlds: The journalist-researcher interaction.” Exploring Public Participation in Scientific Research Under Western Skies, Mount Royal University, September 2014.
- Suomela, T. (2014). “Citizen Science: Framing the Relationship between Public and Science” Jean Tague-Sutcliffe Doctoral Student Poster Competition, ALISE Annual Conference, January 2014.
- Suomela, T. 2013. “Citizen Science and Data Curation: Who needs what?” Curate Thyself: Defining and Cultivating an Academic Trajectory in Digital Curation, University of North Carolina. March 2013.
- Suomela, T., Johns, E. (2012) “Citizen participation in the biological sciences: A literature review of citizen science”. Annual Research Symposium of the College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee, February 2012.
- Sinha, P., Malone, J., Suomela, T., Noakes, E., Metzer, L. and Sims, D.L. (2011) “Collaboration-it’;s a good thing!”: A multi-faceted role analysis in graduate student education as “faculty-in-training”. Annual Research Symposium of the College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee, February 2011.
- Sinha, P., Malone, J., Suomela, T., Noakes, E., Metzer, L. and Sims, D.L. (2011) Environmental information science: A course at the intersection of Popper’;s worlds. Annual Research Symposium of the College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee, February 2011.
- “Citizen and open data.” Open Access Week, University of Alberta. October 23, 2014.
- “Using Zotero to manage your bibliographic data”. Ph.D. pro-seminar, College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. November 8, 2012.
- “An introduction to using Zotero for bibliographies.” Graduate Student Association. College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. February 23, 2012.
- “Bibliographic software and file management.” Graduate Student Association. College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. September 22, 2011.
Seminars and Workshops
- Contributor. Oxford Internet Institute, Summer Doctoral Program. July 2013. Toronto, CA
- Participant. DataONE all-hands meeting, September 17-21, 2012. Albuquerque, NM.
- Participant. DataONE Socio-Cultural/Usability and Assessment Joint Working Group Meeting. April 30-May 2, 2012. Knoxville, TN
- Participant. DataONE Socio-Cultural/Usability and Assessment Joint Working Group Meeting. April 2-May 4, 2011. Knoxville, TN
- IS 301 : Introduction to Web Technologies. University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Fall 2012, Spring 2013
- IS 102 : Technologies for Information Retrieval. University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Fall 2011, Spring 2012
- Graduate student mentor coordinator for 7 different LIS master’;s students. Fall 2012
- Research project advisor and mentor for I. Haugen, LIS master’;s student. Fall 2012
- Research project advisor and mentor for E. Johns, LIS master’;s student. Fall 2011
- Design for Diversity Teaching Curriculum. 2017-2018
- DataONE Undergraduate Introduction to Data Management. DataONE NSF DataNET project. Fall 2012
- Environmental Information Management. College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee. Fall 2010
- Digital Pedagogy and Scholarship Specialist, Bucknell University. 2016-present
- CLIR-DLF Postdoctoral Fellow for Data Curation in the Sciences and Social Sciences, University of Alberta. 2014-2016
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Tennessee. 2010-2014
- Business Technology Analyst, Merrill Corporation. 1999-2005
- Best Conference Paper : January 2013. BOBCATSSS 2013. European conference of LIS students and faculty.
- Sciencelinks2 Fellow : August 2010. IMLS funded program for educating Ph.D. students in science data management and preparing future faculty.
- Design for Diversity IMLS project. Core Design Group.
- Digital Library Federation. Committee member: Working Group on Labor in Digital Libraries; Digital Library Pedagogy; Records Transparency/Accountability Group.
- Society of American Archivists. Steering Committee - Communication for Web Archiving Section (1 year term).
- Digital Library Federation. 2016 conference committee member: sponsorship, program.
- ASIST Student Member. Special Interest Groups – History and Foundations of Information Science, Knowledge Management, Scientific and Technical Information Science
- Contributing Member. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective. http://social-epistemology.com/about/who-we-are/
University, School, and Departmental Service
- Secretary Graduate Student Association, College of Communications and Information Science, University of Tennessee, Knoxville. September 2011-June 2012